Crystal Dawn Walker, interdisciplinary studies alum, was named executive director for Kittitas Yakima Valley Community Land Trust, an affordable housing non-profit in Ellensburg, Wash., in July 2014.
- What is the mission of the Writing Center at Marylhurst?
- How can I get help with my writing at Marylhurst?
- Is there an online writing center and if so, what is the turnaround time?
- Can I just drop my paper off at the Writing Center and ask them to proofread it for me? Or can I send my paper to the online center and ask for them to proofread it?
- Are there any written resources to help me with my writing?
- How frequently can I make appointments at the Writing Center?
- Can I schedule phone appointments?
- Can the Writing Center help me with papers that I'm writing for courses at other schools? And can the Writing Center help me with non-academic work?
1. What is the mission of the Writing Center at Marylhurst?
The Writing Center is committed to the growth of the individual writer. We believe that writing is a powerful tool for communication that fosters academic learning and self-discovery. Our goal is to provide a space of attentive listening and critical thinking where students can discover and refine their skills as academic writers. We work with undergraduate and graduate students during all stages of the writing process in collaborative one-on-one consultations, both online and on campus.
2. How can I get help with my writing at Marylhurst?
The Writing Center has both peer tutors and hired tutors who are available to sit down with you and talk to you about your writing assignments. It is located on the garden level of Shoen Library. You can make an appointment by calling 503.699.6277 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find out more information about the Writing Center on My Marylhurst.
3. Is there an online writing center and if so, what is the turnaround time?
Yes, the online writing center is available at email@example.com. You can find the protocol for using the online center on My Marylhurst.
The turnaround time for the online center is 24 to 48 hours. AOP students have access to another tutoring service called Smarthinking, which provides online tutoring in diverse disciplines.
4. Can I just drop my paper off at the Writing Center and ask them to proofread it
for me? Or can I send my paper to the online center and ask for them to proofread
No, the Writing Center is not a proofreading service, nor a "correcting" service. The Writing Center is focused on teaching you to become a more effective writer. At the center, we ask you to sit with us, read your paper out loud, and discuss areas that can be improved. With the online service, we might identify major errors and make suggestions about the content.
If you need editing services, Perrin Kerns, the director of the Writing Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org, can give you names of individuals you might hire to proofread your work. However, friends and peers are also useful for this. You might also try reading your own paper backwards sentence by sentence to just catch typos and sentence-level errors (work with a colored pencil or pen).
5. Are there any written resources to help me with my writing?
Yes, Marylhurst's graduate and undergraduate programs have adopted A Writer's Reference, by Diane Hacker, as the official writing handbook at Marylhurst University. When you own the manual, you also have access to the website www.dianahacker.com/writersref. The books are available in the virtual bookstore and your faculty and the Writing Center will use them as a reference text when discussing your writing. Shoen Library also has some excellent resources for citation help.
You might also be interested in looking at online resources such as the Purdue's Online Writing Lab at owl.english.purdue.edu/.
6. How frequently can I make appointments at the Writing center?
You can make weekly appointments at the center, as long as you manage to keep them. You can schedule appointments as far in advance as you like. However, if you miss more than two appointments without canceling them, we will ask you to start making appointments only week by week.
We can only accommodate ONE standing appointment a week. If you would like to come in a second time, it must be scheduled week by week, and you might be bumped from that second time slot if there is another student who needs it. You are, of course, welcome to send to the online service if this happens and/or to drop in any time at the center and see if the tutor has time.
7. Can I schedule phone appointments?
Phone appointments are not our preferred method for helping you. If it is ABSOLUTELY necessary we will occasionally make exceptions for you, but it is not our regular practice to work on the phone with students.
8. Can the Writing Center help me with papers that I'm writing for courses at other
schools? And can the Writing Center help me with non-academic work?
If you are an enrolled student at Marylhurst, we are happy to help you with all your academic endeavors, even papers for courses at another school. We will also help you with academically related work such as scholarship letters, graduate school applications, and resumes. We cannot help you with written work, however, that is related to your employment and unconnected to Marylhurst.