Velda Metelmann, 91, proved no one is "too old" for school, earning a master's degree in interdisciplinary studies from Marylhurst University in June 2014.
- Application for admissions to the MAIS program with non-refundable fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Personal letter of introductionThe personal letter is your opportunity to describe your background, interests and aspirations. Describe your reasons for pursuing graduate study and why the MAIS program at Marylhurst University interests you.
- Writing sampleYour writing sample should demonstrate your current scholarly ability, preferably related to the area(s) of study you wish to pursue. It will be assessed on these criteria:
• The paper is 7-10 pages in length
• A thesis is developed and supported by reliable sources
• Critical thought has been used to address an issue
• The argument is well organized and well articulated
• Sources are acknowledged, using a consistent citation style (MLA or APA)
• A references or works cited list appears at the end
- Two letters of reference (download form)
References from individuals acquainted with your potential for success in graduate studies are to be sent directly to the Office of Admissions.
• References from faculty members are preferred
• Professional references are acceptable for applicants with substantial work experience
• References from family members or personal acquaintances should not be sent
- Personal interview
- Proof of measles immunization - required for students taking 9 or more credits per term (download form)
If you are a self-directed person who appreciates the value of a liberal arts perspective you are an ideal candidate. We are seeking students of top academic ability who will benefit from the broad nature of the MA in Interdisciplinary Studies program and contribute to the university learning community.