Dr. Patricia Allen, food systems & society chair, will be a keynote speaker at the Closing the Hunger Gap conference in Tucson in September 2013.
Application deadline for the fall 2014 cohort is February 15, 2014.
- Bachelor's degree
- Strong interest and background in relevant area of study and related experience
Materials you must submit:
- Completed application form. You may complete the application form online.
- Statement of intent. In 1,000 words or less, please address why you want to be a student in this program; briefly describe personal and/or professional experiences that have led to your interest in food systems and social change; and, if you have a particular interest you would like to develop as your thesis topic, tell us what it is and why.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Recent writing sample. Submit a sole-authored, 5-10 page sample on a topic related to food and the food system. This can be something you have already written or something you write for the purpose of this application.
- Minimum two letters of recommendation from individuals who can address your potential for success in graduate studies. Reference letters should signed and be mailed from the persons writing them directly to the Office of Admissions.
Applications for admission are due February 15. When your application is complete, it will be reviewed by a committee composed of the department chair and FSS faculty and staff. Selected candidates will be interviewed by the department. Applicants will be notified in writing of the decision of the admissions committee.
Admitted students must submit a non-refundable $300.00 deposit to hold their place. This deposit is applied towards fall tuition expenses.