Greg Crosby, art therapy and human sciences faculty, taught a one-day course at the American Group Psychotherapy Association's national conference in San Francisco in February 2015.
We have collected a list of questions most frequently asked by students with their respective answers. If you have a question not answered on this page, please contact the department directly.
- What are the requirements for entering the program?
- What are the prerequisites?
- Can I transfer from another school?
- What is the Miller Analogies Test (MAT)?
- What does "experience in human services" mean?
- What is the writing sample? What are the requirements?
- Do I need references?
- Are there any scholarships?
- Can I earn undergraduate art credit for my professional artwork?
- Does Marylhurst offer job placement after graduation?
- How long does the program take to complete?
- Where do art therapists work?
- How many people are accepted to the program each year?
- What credentials can I get?
- What about salary?
- If I take electives at Marylhurst before entering the program, can I apply these credits towards my degree later?
A bachelor's degree with courses in art and psychology. Please see the complete information regarding Admission Requirements.
You must have 27 credits* in art:
- 9 credits in painting
- 9 credits in drawing — including figure drawing
- 9 credits in sculpture — including clay or ceramics
You must also have 18 credits* in psychology:
- 6 credits in general psychology — these courses can be taken at the 100 or 200 level
The remaining psychology credits must be at the 300 or 400 level:
- Abnormal psychology
- Counseling strategies/theories
- Developmental psychology — life span development
- Psychology of personality
Please contact the Office of Admissions if you have not completed your bachelor's degree and would like to attend Marylhurst.
*Marylhurst uses a quarter credit system. If courses are taken in a semester system,
credits are calculated as:
1 semester credit = 1.5 quarter credits
Yes, but you must transfer from an accredited university. You can transfer up to 12 credits into the MA program. The classes must have the same content as our classes. You cannot transfer any classes used towards another completed degree.
The Miller Analogies Test measures your logical and analytical skills by requiring the solution of problems stated as analogies. Your test result will be sent to Marylhurst within three weeks of completing the test. Practice books are available at Shoen Library.
This is experience where you either worked as a paid employee or volunteer within a facility such as:
- Agencies serving clients with mental illness
- Day treatment programs
- Alternative schools
- Residential treatment programs
You are not required to show that you did artwork in the course of your experience, but supervision by a master's level mental health therapist is very valuable. The master's level supervisor may write a reference letter for you.
Please review the application for instructions.
You must include three references. We would like at least one to be from your human services supervisor. The others can be from professors, former supervisors, colleagues or others who know you well and can speak to your aptitude for the field.
Scholarships may not cover the cost of attendance, but financial aid is available and college work study opportunities are available. We suggest you speak with the Office of Financial Aid to discover all your options.
Marylhurst's Prior Learning Assessment program helps students to earn up to 45 college credits for prior work and life experiences. Please contact the Center for Experiential Learning & Assessment to see whether this might be an option for you.
We do not place students after graduation. The Office of Career Services & Internships offers classes and workshops to help graduates find employment. In additions, when jobs are listed with the department, we inform our graduates.
A full-time student can complete the program in two years. We recommend completing the program in two or three years, although slower progress is possible.
Art therapists work in community mental health agencies, hospitals and schools with clients of all ages. Because our graduates are eligible to work toward professional credentialing in more than one field, they have been very successful finding jobs. For more on this topic, consult our Career Paths page.
We admit up to 20 students each year.
The degree prepares you academically to work towards your national board certification in counseling and art therapy. You will also meet the educational requirements for state licensure in counseling in the state of Oregon. All of these credentials require clinical experience after graduating and exams.
You could expect to earn the same salary as any mental health professional who has a master's degree and similar credentials.
If I take electives at Marylhurst before entering the program, can I apply these credits
towards my degree later?
If you take an elective at the 500 level, it may apply towards your degree. Please ask your adviser.