Francesca G. Varela, a graduate of show:tell, Marylhurst's summer camp for teen writers and artists, published her first novel in 2014.
Think an English degree won't set you up for anything other than a teaching career? Think again. Graduate schools and prospective employers recognize and value the specific skills in research, interpretation and communication that degrees within the English literature and new media disciplines provide. They also recognize the insight and problem-solving ability that come with these programs' broad-based explorations of culture, literature and history. Add to that Marylhurst's established history as a liberal arts university and our innovative programs in English literature and writing and English literature and new media, and your career possibilities are unlimited.
Career paths for English literature and new media
English literature and new media scholars will be prepared to progress down a variety of more traditional English degree career paths, such as journalism, research, public policy, corporate communications, copywriting/advertising, publishing and education.
English literature and new media majors also are primed for a number of English degree jobs that are developing as the discipline progresses, such as digital historian/archivist, digital media librarian, digital cartographer, analyst, professional blogger, social media marketer or Web developer.
Career paths for English literature and writing
The English literature and writing curriculum provides a strong foundation for students continuing on to graduate studies in creative writing, literature, rhetoric and composition, library science, education, journalism, law and business.
Our English literature and writing graduates are well prepared to enter a variety of professions that require a strong writing ability coupled with critical thinking skills. Our alumni go on to English degree jobs in writing, teaching, library science, journalism, publishing, high tech, government, educational administration and business. Our alumni include poets, teachers, Web content writers, university administrators, editors and business professionals. In addition, our graduates have been accepted into many competitive graduate programs, including:
- Columbia College MFA program (Chicago)
- University of Washington Ph.D. program
- University of San Francisco MFA program
- New Mexico State University MFA program
- Queens College MFA program
- Portland State University MA in Publishing
- Portland State University MA in English
- University of Victoria MA in English
- University of Washington Master of Library and Information Science
- University of Nebraska MFA program
- University of Wisconsin MFA program
- Oregon State University MFA program
- Western Washington University MA in English
- Lewis and Clark Master of Arts in Teaching program
- Concordia University MAT program
- Marylhurst University MAT program
- Marylhurst University MBA program